The Icare Cup takes place every year at the site of Saint Hilaire du Touvet near Grenoble in Isère, in September. It is an aerial event focused on free flight, mainly paragliding but not only. Infos and video...
Week End at the Icare Cup
You can also see hot air balloons of all kinds, but also motorized vehicles such as paramotor or multistakes microlights, helicopters, aerobatic planes or even gliders coming from the aerodrome of Versoud just beside.
The Icare Cup, the world's largest paragliding event, takes place on the third weekend of September during 4 days, although Saturday and Sunday are, of course, the busiest days. The cut occupies two locations: Saint Hilaire du Touvet with take-off zones and Lumbin in the valley 700 meters below with the landing zone. Parapentists from the Alps and from all over France find themselves at the same time at this event.
Video of the Coupe Icare since the take-off of Saint Hilaire and the plateau and the landing of Lumbin:
Five main moments / phases structures WE:
- The famous aerial disguise contest. You will have the choice to come see the flights from Saint Hilaire, sometimes acrobatic, but the space is relatively small to see the paragliders take off. Otherwise the landing of Lumbin will offer you a point of view on the flying machines larger and spacious and especially longer. This contest of disguise rivals inventiveness and madness as the video below shows!
- In-flight demonstrations often stunning: aerobatic paragliding, glider, aerostation, aerobatics etc ...
- A free flight and ULM show with the main manufacturers of the sector, associations or even schools of paragliding, although many schools of paragliding although of quality are not always present at the fair.
- A film festival with the Icares du Cinéma.
- All kinds of shows and exhibitions in continuous during the Icare Cup: animations dedicated to children, concerts, street shows, ground demonstrations, exchanges exchange of used equipment.
The Icare Cup is always very well organized but take the time to consult the links below in order to organize your arrival or stay in terms of accommodation, travel and catering on site. The success of the event attracts many people ...
Some numbers :
- First edition in 1974 with a single cancellation in 1979 due to strong wind.
- In 1983, the creation of the International Film Festival of Free Flight
- Nearly 90,000 spectators expected each year.
- Approximately 1,000 volunteers
- 10000 pilots
- Almost 20 different aerial sports in demonstration: helicopter, aerobatics, aerostation, gyroplane, paramotor, paraglider, hang glider, glider, parachuting, wing suite, jump base, kite flying, turbine man, 3 or 2 axis microlighting sailing, kite surfing, boomerang, rigid, speed flying etc ...
Icare Cup links :
- Traffic information http://www.le-gresivaudan.fr/169-circulation-a-l-occasion-de-la-coupe-icare.htm
- Forum Coupe Icare http://www.parapentiste.info/forum/evenements-b8.0/
Posted in Do
Tags: Aircraft / Aviation, Event